Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Old Gray Mare has Shit the Bed

My 91 Ford Mustang has finally had it's last breakdown. Oh, I am sure I could get it running again. Maybe a whole new engine and transmission, and of course some body work here and there. I think I will just eulogize it on Craig's list and see if there is a Mustang enthusiast out there who might want it for parts.

By the way, the phrase "shit the bed" is a slang term used commonly in New England. It means "died" or " broken beyond repair" and is in reference to...well, I will let you make that connection all by yourself. I guess it is rarely if ever used out here in California because Joe always cracks up when I say it.

Back to the car... Where I should be feeling a sense of desperation at not having a car, I am instead feeling a sense of relief. I will have to rely on public transportation for a while but I can handle that. It also provides incentive to finally get that bicycle out of the garage and get it fixed. Not only will I get more exercise, which I can surely use, but I will also get incentives from work. Pretty cool, eh?

I've always resisted buying a new car and instead have purchased used from private folks. It's always been decently running cars that lasted 4 or 5 years before heading to the junk yard. I don't know why I have preferred this but I think it's time to buy from a dealer. I want something that will last a bit longer, without having to put major repairs in. I think something with a warranty would be nice too.

But I am in no hurry. I think I will wait until I am so sick and tired of taking public transportation that I am ready to pull my hair out.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My car is the first new car I've ever owned- mine were all used before that. I've never been happier and I figure I'll get a lot of years out of it. It wasn't cheap though.

If you buy from a dealer, remember they will flat-out lie to you and their only priority is selling you a car they have on the lot. They don't much care what you actually want and your biggest power in the price negotiation is walking away. Suddenly the price drops. Or it sits on the lot for a few more days and they call you to ask if you still want the car. I had to deal with dealers in getting my car, and some of them were absolute scum. I found a decent one, but even she tried to play me a bit.

**hugs**
-kerry